Monday, July 11, 2011

Hey Family,
This week was a good one. We had another Baptism, Sister Emily Paguio got baptized. She has a sweet spirit, and have a firm testimony of our teachings. She said that she was the type that never went to church, or really knew of its importance. Although when she started coming to church, she was like a sponge. Soaking up every word, and that stemmed hundreds of soul searching questions. Whenever we would teach her, we would leave her a "reading assignment" to prep her for our next lesson. Each time we returned, she had researched the topic out so much, that she was just jammed packed with questions. We just spend the entire time answering her questions about the topic principle or ordinance.
I mentioned before, in former letters, that I really enjoyed peoples questions, especially if they are asking them with sincere intent, and not with a negative inclination. So even though Emily asked some pretty challenging, apostate questions, it was easy to feel her sincerity to understand, therefore the spirit was present, so we were able overcome every question known to the human mind. It was really faith testing on my part, for most of her questions were personally related, as in looking for my opinion on things. That's when I really realized I can look someone eye to eye and testify to them, that each commandment, and each part of this restored gospel is true. It was more edifying for me to be able to teach Emily. She made me want to study out topics, and be prepared for any objection. Then, each time we went into the lesson, I would just say a personal prayer, asking God just to guide my thoughts and words to answer her questions with exactness. It was like studying for a pop quiz, without knowing the questions that could be asked of you. But, with the spirit as our companion, we scored 100% on every quiz.
I have gained a deeper appreciation for the Holy Ghost while being a missionary. I never realized how God can guide EVERY-little-THING we do. If we just sincerely asked for his help, and keep worthy to hear (or feel) the Holy Ghost. I talked about Sister Nilo, in my last letter. Her family is incredibly wonderful. Her husband is a closed catholic. The first time I met him, he told me that He was "born a catholic, and die a catholic, and he's never going to change." But look at him now, reading the Book of Mormon and going to the LDS church. He's been a tough investigator, that has thrown out tons of objections, trying to find some reason for not joining this church. Although, its for certain experiences, when answering his objections, that I know God has sent us to specifically to this family. Each time he says something, I feel the spirit, and I find myself remembering and reciting scriptures (and in a different language!) and knowing exactly what he needs to hear. It usually humbles and silences brother, and gives him motivation to keep progressing. I feel like crying after each lesson (Sister Nilo usually does), because I love this family so much, and I know I couldn't be able to say those kinds of replies on my own. I am just in awe of Gods love and urgency, by blessing us with his spirit, to help this family progress. Sister Hill and I (plus Sister Nilo) has been praying and fasting for Brother, that he can have the courage to change. I know the time while come, maybe I wont see it, but if he keeps humble, I know he will accept this restored gospel.
To give you a little taste of Bro. Nilo, last night, while explaining to him the principles and ordinances of the gospel (Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receive the Holy Ghost, and Endure to the End) I threw in the comment that as he is applies our messages, and lives the commandments, he will want to be baptized by someone holding the authority to baptize. Afterward, Brother exclaimed that he just wasn't ready for something like this, and that he thinks that our churches obligations i.e. going to church weekly, ect.. would just add more sins to his name. I think that's when D&C 131:6 came into mind, that it is impossible to be saved by ignorance. That I am a literal messenger for our Savior Jesus Christ, and His Church, to enlighten every single person, about their duties on how to gain salvation. The gospel or "so-called-obligations" are not just for members of this church. God will judge every single soul under the same rules and gospel. God is sending missionaries to reach out to every one, and inform them how to prepare themselves. The revealed truths from the prophets, did not just come from their own human minds to make life harder for others. They were literally called by our Father in Heaven to give us direction in life. And I testify, through personal application, that the happiness coming from these revelations is real. God will make sure each one of his children will be fully aware of this full gospel, and therefore judge him accordingly.
Anyway, its been a pleasure being a missionary, and I'm thrilled for anyone (my brotha!) who gets this delightful calling.
-Sister Rachelle Hancock

No comments:

Post a Comment