Monday, October 11, 2010

Family!! I love love love yaaa all. Thanks for everything, especially everything you guys have done to help me to get this wonderful opportunity to serve a mission. I got the wonderful opportunity this past weekend to watch conference. Yes, a week late. You cant expect much more considering I live in a 3rd world country located in a small strand of islands in south east asia. I got teary eyed seeing the strength of the church on the screen. While the Mormon tabernacle choir sang, I saw thousands of people gathered together. This truly is Gods church in the last days. " The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every climb, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done.” Thanks Joseph Smith for the quote. Your words are being fulfilled now.

I got to say all the talks were incredible. Although my absolute favorite was in the saturday session, given by Todd Christofferson. AWESOME. I've often thought about the covenant I made in the temple of living the law of consecration. My MTC teacher told me that my mission is the only time I can fully live the law of consecration. Give 100% of my time. That advice has pushed me to work hard here, prove to the Lord my love for him through my service. Although I've often thought how can I live the law of consecration after my mission. Elder Todd Christoffersons talk gave me exactly what I was looking for. He talked about 5 key points of a consecrated life to the Lord. Purity, Work, Service, Integrity, Respect to Ones Body. Even though after my mission I will be tossed into the world of schooling and working, I am determined to fully consecrate my life in showing my love for the Lord in those 5 ways Elder Christopherson speaks about. Absolutely beautiful talk.

Mom, you filled me in on a little of the controversy of the talk Elder Packer gave. I just want to add my two cents in on the matter. It all depends on the softness of your heart. Just like Nephi says in 1 Nephi 16:2-3 If they were righteous they would be willing to harken to truth.

The people with hardened hearts, will reject the messages coming from Gods messengers. The people with soft hearts will gladly welcome any advice on how to perfect their lives, in correspondence with the Lords standards. I have a perfect example of seeing a mighty change of heart here. There is a recent convert in my ward here. She was told ever since she was little she was a "tomboy" a lesbian, because she loved playing with the boys and liked her hair short. In her teens, it was so ingrained into her, she experimented with the same sex, and then soon claimed herself as lesbian. Well almost a little over a year ago, the gospel was introduced into her life. Her heart was incredibly soft, due to some humbling hardships. When she heard about Law of Chastity, she knew it would be hard to change the life she knew. But because of her willingness to have a life in the standards of the Lord, she gave up the 'natural man'. It was hard for her, although as God promises in Ether 12, we CAN make weaknesses into strengths. This sister is not only strong in her personal life, but she recognizes truth of the gospel, and has become a strength in the church here.

So I would like to invite any one who took Elder Packers comments offensively, to step down from your pride box, evaluate your life, and read Mosiah 4:10-13 -then take King Benjamins advise. As humans we can observe human behaviors, and make our own educated opinions on why there are sex confusions. OR we can trust in Gods knowledge, humble ourselves, and pray to God to understand.. "and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true" I would hope every member is supporting Elder Boyd K. Packer. He is a servant of the Lord. Called to rebuke all to righteousness. If you take the truth hard, the only medicine is what King Benjamin advises, as repentance. You better be on your knees begging God to soften your heart to understand him. If your prayers are not enough, read the proclamation to the World. Then ask yourself how God views families and the sex he ordained you to be. How is it possible for us to complete Gods plan of salvation, without the creation and strength of families?

Alright that is all for now. I gotta go save some souls.

-Sister Hancock

No comments:

Post a Comment